Linux Software Engineer
April 25, 2019
Pacific Northwest Research Institute (PNRI) is seeking a Linux Software Engineer to work in a dual capacity, providing Linux system support for the Institute, and as a software engineer to support the development of computational biology software tools.
Linux System Administration – 50% of time
You will be responsible for providing Linux systems support to the scientific staff. You will oversee several high-performance Linux servers supporting scientific computing. In particular, the qualified individual will work with computational specialists from several groups to set up and maintain a resource-sharing environment for optimal utilization of the computational resources. Responsibilities of the system administrator will be to:
- Administer servers and desktops running Linux OS;
- Setup and manage a resource scheduler on the shared computational servers;
- Support scientific computation.
Software Engineer – 50% of time
You will work closely with the computational biologists to develop new software tools to analyze large biological datasets. The software is based on applications of methods from information theory and machine learning. Responsibilities of the software engineer will be to:
- Working proactively with the computational biologists, contribute strategic thinking and innovative design to continually improve software efficiency;
- Develop code for new applications;
- Understand and maintain current software;
- Extend existing software applications by implementing new methods.
This is an ideal position for a candidate seeking an opportunity to work in a stimulating, research-driven environment. As a growing organization, PNRI provides an excellent climate for motivated, dynamic individuals.
This individual will report to the Senior Computational Scientist and interact with the entire range of research personnel across the institute.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- A minimum of two (2) years of relevant work experience
- Proficiency in Linux operating systems
- Excellent programming skills (C/C++, Python, Perl, etc.)
- Demonstrated systems administration experience and skills
- Knowledge of slurm or other resource managing systems preferred
- Knowledge of parallel computing methods
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work with scientific staff, as well as to work independently
- Ability to prioritize and manage time effectively
- Linux Certification preferred (RHCA / RHCE)
PNRI is an independent, nonprofit research institute fueled by a mission to discover new solutions in the fight against disease. Our culture is designed for discovery, creativity, and collaboration. We are home to a multidisciplinary team of world-class scientists who are redefining genetic research. Everyone at PNRI — scientists, executives, and support staff — is provided the independence to focus on their work and the freedom to experiment.
How to Apply:
For immediate consideration, please submit a cover letter and resume (or curriculum vitae) to email@example.com. No phone calls please.